Thursday, January 22, 2009

Morgan's First Visit to the City of San Antonio

I used to work for the IT department of the City of San Antonio. Since Morgan had her shots, it was time to take her out and introduce her to the people I used to work with at the City. I got her dressed and she slept for most of the drive. We arrived and she woke up and was all smiles. She handled all the adoring fans very well and gave them grins and coos. After a while, though, she was tired and slept through most of the visit. She was a sweet baby, though, and only fussed a couple of times when she was hungry. It was nice to see everybody. Some asked me if I would come back, but I said, "how could I leave her?"

We got in the car to head home and about 5 minutes from the house, she started crying - she was hungry! I don't know why she has to fuss when we're so close to home, but I guess it's better than fussing the whole time. So, we get home and I get in the back seat to give her some milk. She drinks some and then appears to be done, so I get her out of the car and into the house. My visit lasted longer than I thought and it had been over 5 hours since I last pumped breastmilk. I'm supposed to pump every 2-3 hours, so I really needed to pump. Morgan had other plans, though. She wanted her miiiiiiilk! So, in my haste, I took off my shirt for ease of pumping and hooked up to my double electric, hands-free (thank goodness) Medela Freestyle pump and tried to wash some bottles in the kitchen. Morgan didn't want me to do that - she wanted to be fed. So I have one hand on a bottle, and one hand in the sink. Since I hadn't pumped in several hours, I had a lot of milk backed up and I had to change collection bottles. All the while, Morgan is fussing. I get the bottles switched and the other bottle back in Morgan's mouth. She also decided that it was time to make a huge poopy diaper. I'm going quite nuts at this point, because I was also fumbling with her bottle to add more milk to it and the drop-in liner wasn't in place properly and I spilled some milk. Whomever said "don't cry over spilled milk" never pumped/breastfed! I still had a few minutes of pump time, so I had to pick her up out of the bassinet, still hooked up to the pump and take her to the changing table. I get her changed and back in the bassinet. Finally, my pumping time was up and I had made 11 ounces! (That is a lot...) I'm trying to get all the bottles sorted, while feeding Morgan at the same time. I notice she's pushing the bottle away, though. So, at this point, I'm unhooked from the pump and I can pick her up. I haven't had a chance to get a shirt, so I'm still in my bra and jeans. I pick her up and try to burp her and she lets out this big burp...followed by a river of spit up. Remember, I have no shirt on, so it's all over ME and I look at my back side and there's spit up on the back of my jeans, as she spit up all down my back, basically. I'm wiping everything off and about to lose my mind. I put her in the bassinet and turn to look at her and she is SO happy. I think spitting up made her feel better and she's there smiling and cooing. She starts saying "ah goo", which I always love to hear and she said it 26...yes, twenty-six, times! I counted. ;) My heart was melting and I briefly thought about getting the video camera, but I couldn't tear myself away from the cuteness. Instead, I called my husband on the phone and let him hear the "ah goo fest" that was in progress.

I guess that's the nature of motherhood - on the brink of insanity one minute and totally happy and in love the next...

I do have video of her "ah goos" from other days, though:

4 comments:

  1. hahah not to laugh but I've had those days...At least you only spilt a little. I've done it and dumped over 2 bottles before and watched almost 10oz go onto the floor. I literally sat on the kitchen floor and cried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just gotta say this.. i'm soo freaking mad at you right now Selena ;) How the hell do you pump 11 ounces in one pumping?!? I'm so jealous! Now granted, I nursed AND pumped.. only pumped once a day (maybe twice if I didnt get enough the first pumping) and I only got about 3-4 ounces (TOTAL!) - but, that was all that Keri drank anyways.. she never drank more than 4 oz out of the bottle for daddy. (Daddy gave her a bottle at night instead of me nursing her to sleep) - but that is amazing you get so much milk pumping.. I always had milk supply issues so I admit I'm jealous.. ;)

    the "ah-goo" thing is priceless.. so cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so nice to finally meet Morgan. She is soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so nice to finally meet Morgan. She is soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete