Monday, January 26, 2009

Morgan's First Out-of-Town Trip

(Click on any of the images to enlarge...)







On Saturday we took Morgan on her first out-of-town trip by car. We went to Victoria to see Greg's parents and other relatives. We also went to see some of our friends at Brian & Melissa's house in Edna.

The plan was to get on the road by 8:00 a.m. The night before, Greg and I began packing things little by little. As most parents know, you have to pack nearly the entire house when you travel with children. Also, a lot of things you want to pack will be used up until you leave the house, so that makes it a little tricky. We managed to get on the road by 8:30 a.m., and I think that's pretty good. Morgan slept almost the whole way there, except for one minor fit when we stopped at a gas station. I left the car to go to the bathroom and when I came back, I asked Greg to pop the trunk. When I opened the trunk I could hear that Morgan was crying, so I got in the car to find that she had woken up and she wanted to know where in the world her milk was at and why wasn't anyone feeding it to her?! I promptly popped the milk in her mouth and we got back on the road again.

That day, only a couple of relatives came to visit. Everyone else was coming on Sunday. In the late afternoon, we headed out to Edna, to Brian & Melissa's house. It was SOOO cold and windy! When we got in the house, it was Baby Central. Christy had Addyson, Nicki had Karsen, Melissa had Kendall, and there were some other friends of theirs with their babies, too. There were also older kids playing outside. I don't see how they could play in the cold - brrrrr! Shannon & Sam also came and I was glad they decided to make the trip. We had a gift exchange (this was our "Christmas in January" party...) and I got The Notebook on DVD. Morgan had a "diaper blowout" and I didn't have a change of clothes, which is silly, because I learned from Melissa that you should always have spare clothes. I had packed several outfits, but they were all at the house in Victoria. (A lot of good they were doing me back there...) Thankfully, Melissa lent me one of Kendall's old outfits.

All the babies were so cute and it was interesting to see the different stages of babies. Morgan is 2 months, Karsyn is 3 months, Addyson is 5 months, Kendall is 9 months, etc. After a few hours it was time to get back in the car and head back to Greg's parents' house in Victoria. Greg's mom had set up the crib that Greg slept in when he was a baby and Morgan slept pretty well in it. I slept in the same room with her and boy is she noisy! She grunts and wiggles and babbles in her sleep. I don't use the monitor any more at home because of all those noises. She's not awake when she makes them and I would always go check on her, only to find her sound asleep.

Sunday, we went to church and several people got to meet Morgan. She was all smiles and being quite the cutie pie. I think she likes all the attention. (I wonder where she gets that from...) Ann Korinek, a friend of Kay's, was there and it was really good to see her. Last year, she was on her way to my baby shower and was in a car accident and her leg was broken in two places. I felt so bad. She's doing so much better, though, and she looked well. She also has a granddaughter named Morgan, who was there so Morgan Elizabth got to meet Morgan Rae. Here is a picture of Ann holding Morgan back at the house:














When we got back to the house, Aunti and Jerry arrived, followed by several other family members. We all had a great time and they got to hold Morgan and she took so many naps in people's arms. She fussed a couple of times, but was pretty much an angel baby. Here she is having a great time in Aunt Margaret's lap:

















Here we are with Greg's parents:









She slept most of the way home and was still asleep in the carseat when we got home. Greg put her in her crib around 8 p.m., which is early for her and sure enough, she was up at 11 p.m. wanting to eat. Then, she woke at around 2, 4, and 5 a.m. Greg got up around 5 and was sweet enough to give her a bottle while I went and pumped and then he took care of her so I could get a little sleep. I was SO very tired.

Overall, I think her first trip went very well and I love taking her around to meet new people and see new things. I was worrying that she was getting bored being cooped up in this house for 2 months, staring at the same things day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment