Thursday, February 26, 2009

48-hour days?

Last night was a looooong night. We tried putting Morgan to bed earlier to see if that helped her sleep longer, but it DID NOT. We had her asleep in the crib at 8:20 p.m. She then awoke at 10:20 and was just writhing in apparent discomfort and screaming a little bit. I could not figure out whether she was itchy, gassy, having acid reflux, or what...I took her to the glider to feed her and she started eating vigorously, so either she was hungry or milk just makes her feel better. She went back to sleep and woke up again at midnight, 1:15 a.m., 2:30 a.m., and a couple of times after that, that I don't even remember! Greg got up at around 6-ish and Morgan and I were asleep in the glider. He took her and I went to sleep for about an hour. She's sleeping in the bassinet next to me, now, and I still don't know what has caused her such a sleepless night. She hasn't had a poopy diaper in a while, so maybe that's also to blame.

I feel like she gets a decent amount of sleep every other night. It's like she has a 48-hour day, with the first 24-hour period being a series of short naps and the second 24-hour period having a longer, more night-like stretch of sleep. It's killing me!

2 comments:

  1. hrmmm interesting.....I don't have an answer for you :( However, I do have a suggestion regarding the no-poopy diaper. Tori goes now about every 3 days. I find though, that if she's squirmy uncomfortable, I'll take some oil, or lotion whichever I have right there, I'll massage her tummy. Very gently, but for about 15 minutes. It really calms her down. Then about 15-20 mins later, she goes. Might try it, and see if it helps Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to see your child in discomfort and not know how to help her. My daughter had acid reflux and the doctor suggested trying to breast feed her in a position where she was sitting up, the football hold was the easiest in that regard for me. There were many times where I think she was nursing more for comfort and to help soothe her when she wasn't feeling well, I think that's normal...we are their pacifiers. I think you are doing a great job with helping her learn how to sleep in her crib through the night. I will take a lot of time to finally get there but will be worth it. I didn't start with mine until she was four months and by five she was sleeping through the night from about 7-5:30 (now it's 8 pm-7am). I'm only telling you this because it will get better. I know that while going through a rough sleepless time like this it feels as though the time will never come where you will get a decent stretch of sleep. I remember just wishing for three hours straight...then six...etc. Your a great mommy, keep doing what feels right for you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete