Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's March already?

Time is starting to fly by a little more quickly, now. Morgan is 3 1/2 months old! Last week, she rolled over (from tummy to back) for the first time since she was 5 weeks old. She did it a second time for the camera, but I haven't been able to get her to do it, since. She holds her head up really well, but she doesn't seem to want to roll over any more. I guess she figures, "OK, that was interesting, but I'm done with that for now."

Anyway, after the fiasco that was the Ferber method, I finally received The No-Cry Sleep Solution book in the mail. I feel so much better about what I'm reading in this book, although I can tell that it won't be easy. She weighs 16.75 lbs. now, so I know she's not going to starve if she doesn't eat 3 times at night. Part of this process involves finding her ideal bedtime, which means watching her, starting at 6:30 p.m. and putting her to bed at the first signs of tiredness. This, in turn, means that I can't do anything in the evenings for the next several days. They say it takes about 10 days to get things figured out. I get the feeling that things will get harder before they get easier. Right now, Morgan wakes up 2-4 times a night and with this method, I may need to tend to her 10 times, to avoid having her cry. I feel sleepy just thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. so what does the No Cry Solution entale, other than finding the right bed time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a lot of the same concepts as the Ferber book (teaching babies to put themselves to sleep themselves and removing sleep associations like nursing to sleep, pacifiers, rocking, etc.), but instead of letting the baby cry, you pick them up, pat them, comfort them, etc. and just keep trying to get them to fall asleep on their own until they get it. It's basically a lot more work for the parent, since you may have to pick up the baby 10 times before the put themselves to sleep. It also involves making a "sleep plan" and doing it for 10 days and then evaluating and revising. I think things get worse before they get better. Morgan was up 5 times last night. She was getting up twice. I've gotten into the habit of letting her sleep on me and I think she's past the "you can't spoil her" period. I can tell you more about it some time. :)

    ReplyDelete