Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Crib Recall!

First off, let me say that if you are not already on their mailing list, please go to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's website at http://www.cpsc.gov and sign up. They will send you email notifications about product recalls that could save your child's life!

I received one such email yesterday for my daughter's Simplicity drop-side crib: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09260.html

I also received an email directly from Wal-Mart.com, which is where I ordered the crib, using their "Site-to-Store" feature. I checked the model/serial number on the bottom of her crib and, sure enough, it was on the recall list. I also called Wal-Mart customer service to confirm. I had bought the crib as part of Simplicity's "Nursery in a Box" set, which comes with a crib, changing table and dresser. I called Wal-Mart and they said I could just take the crib back and not the other pieces, as I explained that we had clothes in the drawers and items on the shelves of the changing table.

I was not going to let my daughter sleep one more night in that possible death-trap, so I disassembled the crib and we loaded it up in the truck bed and headed off to Wal-Mart. Just as we're driving up to Wal-Mart we see this HUGE wall of rain headed our way. It has barely rained 3 drops in months and now that we're carting a crib in the truck bed, it has to rain. We get the crib inside, ahead of the rain and take it to the customer service department. They didn't give us any trouble. We didn't have our receipt or anything, but they gave us a full refund for the cost of the entire set, which was amazing. We then went to pick out a new crib. There were only 2 brands left that weren't recalled, so we got the white one, to match her furniture and checked out. When we get outside, it's raining cats and dogs! We're got Morgan with us and so we're trying to get the crib in the back (the employees helped with that) and the car seat in the car and the stroller had to go in the back, too. My poor, beautiful stroller got doused. Anyway, we get home and we had called my dad to meet us at the house to bring in the crib, because Greg hurt his back and shouldn't lift anything heavy. My dad arrives and it's still pouring down. He helps bring the crib in one piece at a time and that's when they see that both the front and back boards are broken. One is slightly cracked and the other is flat out broken and splintered. Grr! We call Wal-Mart and ask that they bring another crib box to Customer Service and let us exchange just the broken parts, since we're not loading that thing up again. They agreed and my husband went to exchange the pieces. My husband and my dad got the crib all set up and just in time, because Morgan was so tired and fussy.

She went right to sleep in her new, hopefully safe, crib...for an hour...oh well, I guess her new crib didn't change anything, but at least I know she's not in a death-trap...until the next recall comes out...

No comments:

Post a Comment