Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Poopy, poopy, and more poopy...

It's funny how you wake up one day and realize that most of your thought processes now revolve around baby poop - it's color, consistency, smell, etc.

We started Morgan on solids last week. We started with rice cereal, but she really didn't seem very interested. We also got some carrot baby food. She really liked that and we gave her about 1/4 tub the first time. The next day, she seems really hungry and she ate the other 3/4 of the tub! Well, I think that was too much because she didn't poop until two days later. She was fussing and wriggling, but nothing would pass. I decided to put her in the jumperoo, to see if the bouncing and gravity would help things along. Oh boy, did they ever! She was happily jumping along and then she paused and was making some serious faces and grunts and then *POW*! We heard a big poopy noise and I thought I'd better get her out of there before she blew again and blew out of the diaper. When I picked her up, there was a thin line of poop seeping through above the diaper line and I knew I was too late, but it was just above the diaper, so I figured it wasn't too bad. I get her to the changing table and I open up her clothes to the sight of the hugest baby blowout. Her poopy looked just like the carrots that went in and it had blown all up her back and the diaper was so full. She only had 3/4 of a small tub, but it had multiplied and combined with her milk and cereal to make SUPER POO! Needless to say, we're going to hold off on the carrots for a while and when we start them back, she'll only get 1/4 tub at a time.

We started giving her baby oatmeal and she really likes that.

I just prepare one heaping spoonful with a lot of breastmilk to dilute it. She now opens her mouth and chomps at the spoon and eats it up like a pro. I was going to start one bottle of soy formula a day, to see how she does on it, but I waited a day after the big poopy blowout to give her a break. Yesterday, I gave her the first 2-0z. bottle of soy formula. She drank it right up, and now I'm waiting for the poop report. She has been very gassy, but I don't think that can be all the soy's fault since she had 34+ oz. of breastmilk and only 2 oz. of soy formula. Last night she didn't sleep well and was wriggling and tooting and trying to pass what I can only guess is a ginormous gas bubble. She kept rolling over on to her side, and ended up sleeping on her side a couple of times. Poor thing... She's in the bassinet beside me, at the moment, trying to work on her morning poopy. There she lies broken-hearted, wanted to poop, but only farted...

1 comment:

  1. Poopy stories are the best. My lo has some issues in that department without even adding solids. It will be interesting! Good luck with the transition.

    ReplyDelete